Do you remember I showed you the awesome Kek Amsterdam wallpaper that went on a wall in our living room? If you missed that post you can still check it out here. I also did a full review on the wallpaper in that post.
If you remember we had a door on that same wall where the wallpaper is and it really needed replacing. I didn’t want to replace it with just another bland door. I thought this wall needed something special so I choose a sliding barn door. Thankfully the husband approved and we set out to find affordable modern barn door hardware in black. This was one step of the project we didn’t want to DIY. This door is our main door leading from the front entry hallway to the living room so it needed to be sturdy enough to take abuse from the two young children living here.
We found our sliding door hardware online at Woonshopper for €144,95 (200 cm, including shipping). They were very helpful answering all our questions about the installation. They also provided us with detailed installation instructions. You guys this was key for our success in installing this door. We didn’t want to mess up our wallpaper so we took great care to avoid that at all costs.
In the end, it was our wall that gave us the most trouble. When I say us in this instance I mean the husband. He was the guy doing all the install for this project. The wall, we found out is made of 2 different materials. We discovered this when we drilled into it and found clay bricks on one end and concrete blocks at the other end. We went ahead and installed the sliding door hardware.
A few days after we installed the door we saw that the plugs we used were not doing a good job holding on to the rail. The whole thing was beginning to sag a little. We had to take it all down again and get some heavy duty plugs. It took a bit of work to get this issue sorted.
I didn’t want to use a brand new white door. The base colour in our living room is white, from the walls to the floor. So I wanted to add some contrast with a vintage door sanded down to its original wood colour. It took us a few months to hunt down a suitable door for our project. In the end, we found it for €65,- at a salvage yard for old building materials in a town near us. That was a good deal. A new door would easily be double that.
It was a little bit of a gamble with the door. We didn’t really know what kind of wood it was made of. We knew it was sturdy and structurally sound and that was it. After getting all of the paint of off the door we were left with quite a nice light wood tone door. On Wednesday I will show you how we got the paint off of this door.
All that was left after the paint was removed was to attach the hardware and cut a groove on the bottom of the door to fit the floor guide. We just love the end result. We’ve lived with it installed for about 2 months now and it’s holding up really well.
If you want to see more ‘My Sanctuary’ posts go here.